Persian Meatballs with Saffron Rice
- Total time:
- 60 min
- 20 min
- 40 min
- Created by:
- Cavendish Road State High School
- Hot Meals
500 g Ground Beef
4 cup Basmati Rice
1 each Onion
1 tsp Saffron (Grounded)
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Black Pepper
4 tsp Salt
6 tbsp Oil
- Mix the saffron with 5 tbsp of boiled water and let it set for at least 20 min.
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Boil the rice with 3 tbsp salt and 8 cups of water until you can smash each rice between your fingers.
- Spread 2 tbsp of oil in the bottom of a large pot, add the rice gently to the pot, then add another 2 tbsp of oil on the top.
- Place the lid and cook on medium-low heat about 30 min.
- Meanwhile, grate the onions using a blender or grate.
- Place the ground beef, onion, turmeric, black pepper and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl, mix them well with your hand until it starts to look like a paste and stick to your fingers.
- Make cherry sized meatballs and place them in a non-stick pan.
- Add 2 tbsp oil and cook the meatballs until lightly brown.
- Mix the cooked rice with saffron mixture and meatballs or serve the saffron rice in the side of meatballs.
Persian meatball with saffron rice is a traditional food from Iran. Serve with additional veggies like roasted eggplant, capsicum or tomatoes.