Tasty Mexican meal.
- Total time:
- 30 min
- 0 min
- 30 min
- Created by:
- Hot Meals
8 unit Tortilla wraps
500 g Lean cooked chicken meat (optional)
1 cup Reduced fat cheese, grated
Select Paprika, sour cream, shallots (garnish options)
Select Quick and Easy Mexican Beans Recipe
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 unit Onion, diced
2 tbsp Paprika or Burrito type seasoning
1 unit Can corn kernels, drained
1 unit Can red kidney beans, drained
1 unit Can Tomatoes, crush
Select Enchilada Sauce Recipe
3 tbsp Vegetable or olive oil
3 tbsp Flour
2 cup Chicken stock
- For the Mexican beans, gently fry onion in olive oil until browned adding any Burrito type seasoning or paprika towards the end. Add corn kernels, red kidney beans and crushed tomatoes. Simmer until thickened.
- Meanwhile for the Enchilada sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour. Stir well and add a little of the stock to form a paste. Cook on low heat for two minutes stirring constantly and then add the rest of the stock. Continue to heat and stir for about 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Assemble the enchiladas by spooning a small amount of bean mix down the centre of each tortilla and top with optional diced chicken meat. Roll, cut in half and place seam side down in individual foil containers.
- Top each with some of the Enchilada sauce and grated cheese. Bake in a 180degC oven for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before topping with some sour cream and sprinkle of paprika or chopped shallots.
Recipe courtesy Trent Ballard. Consider half serves for primary school students.
The Mexican Bean mix can be made in large batches and frozen in advance. This same recipe is also suitable for use in Burritos or as a topping for nachos, potato skins or wedges so is very versatile and can be used to offer a number of choices on your menu. A halved tortilla fits perfectly into a square foil tray as pictured.